Sunday, July 02, 2006
Ah! To be 50....
I am going to be fifty, but I still feel like a twenty-year-old…okay, that’s a bit of an exaggeration… how about 35? I am learning things about mobiles, computers, I-pods and am even learning how to savvy speak. I would love to dress savvy but the flesh is way too much though the spirit is willing! Like generations before me, I like to think that I led a simpler life, the air was pure, the fruit sweeter, the grass greener, and relationships were forever. But in fact it was never so…. truly speaking, we were caught between two worlds. There was existentialism to discuss, the anti nuke and anti establishment stuff was dynamite as was communalism. The hippie movement was exactly what we were looking for and what our parents weren’t. There was Ravi Shankar and Bob Dylan to go with pot and patched jeans and gogo glasses. Groovy was a real word that meant everything and nothing. ….and guru was a real ‘hep’ word and if you dressed right you were modBut there was another world of arranged marriages and babies and proper housewife things waiting to happen to all of us,while we were having our stars and stripes dream…the ultimate getaway was U.S.A. and the most coveted thing was an I – 20 form from some university back there.And the two worlds collided.Arguments, tears, emotional blackmailing and the torn patched levis and gogo glasses went out of the window along with the stars and stripes dream to be replaced by 6 yards of silk, bangles, and sindoor…and a suited booted husband who was as confused coz he was probably dreaming of a Blonde-blue-eyed-chick as his ticket to freedom.Okay…let’s get back to the present.The Gen ex is discussing reservations, Afghanistan, terrorism in Barista coffee shops or over bottles or should I say cans of beer. The jeans are down to their navels while the shirts and tops are way above the navels and parents want their kids to go abroad. and yes they still identify with Dylan and Lennon singing imagine…and ‘cool’ is an all encompassing word as is chill. And there are no arguments and tears and emotional blackmailing…the kids get married and continue working and partying like before …That’s what I like…see, there is not much change actually.Ah! To be young and happening…who said I am not young huh ?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment