Wednesday, August 09, 2006

life begins at 50

I turned fifty a few days back. Everyone wished me and congratulated me and my daughters flew down to be with me. We had a great party and I even cut a birthday cake but through all this there was something missing…and I am still trying to pinpoint it.
Over the last few years it seems like the pace that I was always used to has slowed down.
I sleep less
I eat less
I read less
I don’t over react anymore
I never seem to ever get angry
I have become a little lazy
I don’t like too much of talking around me
I start yawning at parties after eleven
Am I turning into an old bore ?
Is fifty really all that old?
Well, it definitely is time to take stock of my life. T he children have gone , the nest is empty and time hangs heavy on my hands and I see a lot of people going all spiritual and the mandir route but I really don’t believe in all that crap. As someone rightly said ….puja is a waste of time…..ringing bells can hardly appease the gods and insure a place in heaven…and anyway who wants to go to heaven? Not me, hell is the place for me coz all my friends are going to be there….all my relatives will be above !!!
See, one even starts talking and joking about the inevitable…death ! this is what fifty does to you !!
I have to get rid of this heavy feeling of weariness and give myself some pep talk and start living on the edge again…life begins at 50!

No comments: